Information on this page is from the California Republican Party
The History of the Republican Party
The Republican Party was born in the early 1850’s by anti-slavery activists and individuals who believed that the government should grant western lands to settlers free of charge. In 1860, the Republicans successfully elected their nominee to the Presidency-Abraham Lincoln.
During his Presidency, the Unites states was wracked by the Civil War. During that war, and against the advice of his Cabinet, Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation that freed the slaves. The Republicans of their day worked to pass the Thirteenth Amendment,outlawed slavery, the Fourteeenth, which guaranteed equal protection under the laws, and the Fifteenth, which helped secure voting rights for African-Americans. That historic relationship is why the first African-American Congressmen were Republicans.
In 1896, Republicans were the first major party to argue for securing the right to vote for women. When the 19th Amendment was finally added to the Constitution, 26 of 36 state legislatures that had voted to ratify it were under Republican control. The first woman elected to Congress was a Republican, Jeanette Rankin from Montaqna, in 1917.
Presidents during most of the late nineteenth cenbtury and the early part of the twentieth century were Republicans. While the Democrats and Franklin Roosevelt tended to dominate the American politics in the 1930s and 40s, for thirty-two of the forty-eight years from 1952 through 2008, the White House has been in Republican hands-under Presidents Eisenhower, Nixon, Ford, Reagan, and Bush. Under Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush, the United States became the world’s only superpower, winning the Cold War from the old Soviet Union and releasing mnillions from Communist oppression.
Today, Republicans around the nation are rallying together to celebrate our common values of economic prosperity, cutting taxes and government waste, and a return to education excellence.
You could be a Republican and don’t even know it!
(Don’t panic this could be a good thing.)
TAKE THE TEST:
1) Taxes. If you believe you’re paying too much in taxes ( the average American pays over 55% of their income in taxes of all kinds), then you’re a Republican. The American Revolution was fought over high British taxes- about 3%. Democrats want to solve every problem with a new “investment”, code word for Taxes. Republicans want to solve those same problems with intelligence, like you do at home. They want you to keep your wallet in your pocket or purse, where it belongs, not in Washington.
2) The Purpose of Government. If you believe that the purpose of government is limited to do only that which private individual can not do for themselves, then you’re not only a Republican but you agree with the Founders of this Nation.
3) American Pride. If you believe our schools should teach peace through national Strength, that we should take pride in our American History, that students should recite the Pledge (not dropping under God), then you’re a Republican. If you believe our Armed Forces should be honored and given the most up to date equipment that is available, then you’re a Republican and a true American.
4) Free Enterprise and Labor. If you believe the foundation of our economic strength is the balance of the free market system with a healthy respect for labor, then you’re a Republican.
5) Families-Society’s Building Blocks. If you believe the foundation of our society is the loving, healthy and caring family (2 parent family as the goal) then you’re a true Republican.
6) Equality. If you believe that jobs and opportunities should be given by merit and experience and not by gender or the color of skin, then you’re a Republican.
7) Crime and Punishment. If you believe that vicious killers, kidnappers, rapist, pedophiles and Terrorist should be executed or be sentenced to life without possibility of parole after just One Strike and Not Three. Then you’re a Republican.
8) Economic Opportunity and the American Dream. If you believe in the greatness of America and that this is still the land of opportunity, freedom and a magnet to thousands immigrants each year from throughout the world. Then you’re an optimist and a Republican.
Test Scores: If you said yes to 5 out of 8 questions, you’re a Republican-reregister your party immediately! If you said yes to 6 or more, you’re a Patriot. If you said yes to all 8-you should be running for office. America needs you!